Wednesday, March 28, 2012

12 Days of Easter... starting TODAY!


I think it's safe to say that we Americans celebrate Easter in many ways — candy-filled baskets, Easter egg hunts, visit with the Easter Bunny, etc. And although I don't think there's anything wrong with these traditions, Easter is so much more than bunnies and plastic eggs. As Christians, Justin and I want our family to celebrate Christ's resurrection and the new life He gives us in another way...

Enter the '12 Days of Easter' :) I found this idea on Pinterest a while back and love the idea of bringing the Easter story to life by doing Christ-focused activities. We will still do our traditional Easter activities, but this idea helps kids learn more about Jesus' sacrifice and victory over death at Easter. I have tweaked a few things to make it a bit more age appropriate for my little ones but feel free to 'steal' the idea and celebrate this Easter with Christ in mind ;)

You will need 12 plastic eggs, a sharpie, pen, paper, scissors and a list of misc. items below (most are found in your house):
1. Matthew 26:26-27,39 (sacrament cup or piece of bread - I used bread)
2. Matthew 26: 14-15 (3 dimes - represents 30 pieces of silver) [This fulfilled the prophecy in Zechariah 11:12-14.]
3. Matthew 27:1-2 (knotted twine)
4. Matthew 27:15, 17, 21, 24-26 (chunk of hand soap)
5. Matthew 27:28-30 or Mark 15:16-17 (square of red or purple fabric)
6. Matthew 27:31-32 (small nail or toothpick cross)
7. Matthew 27:35 (dice to represent soldiers casting lots)
8. Matthew 27:50-51, 54 (crushed rocks)
9. Matthew 27:57-60 (strip of white cloth)
10. Matthew 27:60, 62-66 (a small, flat stone)
11. Mark 16:1, 2-6 (bay leaf or other herb)
12. Matthew 28:5-6 (empty - He is Risen :) - my favorite one)
Write the scripture references on a piece paper then cut into 12 strips. I also included a short sentence summarizing the scriptures but that's not totally necessary.


Number eggs from 1-12:

Then take one egg out each night in succession, look up the scripture in your Bible, and let the kiddos hold the trinket and learn hands-on more about the Savior. This is such a great way to help children learn the true meaning of why we celebrate Easter, and a really good reminder for us adults too. :)

1 comments:

jomama said...

Great idea Shel, good job