When I find an experiment that looks fun, I print it out and stash it away until we're ready to use it. This was one of those times and unfortunately, I don't remember where I 'stole' it from. So sorry about that (you can probably google it to find the original post if you'd like), but here's what we did with awesome results:
Supplies:
-Empty water bottle
-Baking dish
-Packet of yeast
-Dish soap
-Hydrogen peroxide
-Warm water-Food coloring
Directions:
Measure 2 tablespoons of warm water in a separate container.
Next, add 1 teaspoon of yeast to the water:
Stir well. The yeast will catalyze (speed up) the reaction.
Next, put your water bottle in the middle of the baking pan. Add 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide, a squirt of dish soap, and 4-5 drops of food coloring. Swish the bottle around to mix the ingredients a bit.
Then add your yeast to your water mixture.
Watch the foaminess begin!
This is when you tell your kids that it's called Elephant Toothpaste because it looks like toothpaste coming out of a tube that's big enough for an elephant to use :)



0 comments:
Post a Comment