Monday, October 22, 2007

From movie room to playroom..

After coming to the conclusion that my house looked like a toy store exploded, I made it my mission to turn our hardly-used "Movie room" into a playroom for Miss Fancy Pants. The child has more toys than she knows what to do with and my hope is that one day, she will be able to fondle each and every toy that sits untouched in her room. Anyways, here is the movie room, that got used maybe every few months:



So to keep my house looking like adults live in the home also, I began planning and preparing for the playroom. First decision was what to hang on the walls...I didn't really want generic posters because knowing my daughter, she will eventually think that the posters are waaay too generic for such a little Princess. So, I got creative and painted Crayola posters that were big enough to fit the existing frames we had hung for movie posters. In total, I painted 6 posters and added special little touches like stick-on foam flowers and glitter that made Cinderella's dress shine like nobody's business. Sure, it only took me a few hundred hours to paint every nook and cranny on the silly things, but they are unique and original and I think they came out really nice (even if Belle's dress came out a hideous orangish color rather than the dazzling gold it was intended to be!) Here is what one of the posters looks like:


But I think the hardest task of the whole project was painting the walls. Why in the world did I have to pick such a dark color to pain the movie room? It may have looked nice at the time, but after applying 3 coats (yes, 3!) of "Butternut Squash" yesterday, I was cursing myself for the deep Chocolate color that I had previously slathered the walls in! But alas, three coats later, a Princess border applied, a girly rug unrolled, and the very frilly ribbon curtain hung (that the Hubster picked out), the playroom now looks like a mini toy store.


Yes, that giant monstrosity below is a Cinderella playhouse. I know it will be a couple years before Annie Banani figures out what the huge pink thing is, but for the time being, she enjoys crawling in and kicking the fabric walls as Quentin attempts to paw at her feet on the other side. And I have hidden a few link-a-doos and teething rings in there, so she soldier-crawls inside the playhouse and begins chewing and batting at her treasures.


So, she's got a bookcase full of books that range from "Walter the Farting Dog" to "Guess How Much I Love You"and while she has trouble sitting still long enough for me to read her a few pages, we attempt to read a few new book every day. And being the oh-so-practical mom that I am, I bought my Banani a Little Tykes Vanity set, complete with lipstick, nail polish, and a blow dryer :) I mean, every little girl's gotta have one, right? And really, how could I resist the fact that it tells you how beautiful you are when the lipstick is removed from it's compartment?!?!?

As much fun as it was planning and creating this special room for Lauren Anne, I am glad it's over. And I'm glad I took "before" pics because I know that in no time, the room will look like a Tornado has hit and toys will be everywhere!

0 comments: