Thursday, October 22, 2009

Shredded chicken burritos

I’ve mentioned before that my husband isn’t a foodie. The man eats to live. Me on the other hand? I’m definitely a “live to eat” kind of girl. And cooking for me is a challenge because not only does it have to be healthy, I actually want it to taste good. And the worst part is, it can be fan-freakin-fantastic and Justin will say “ehhh, it was good I guess”.

But he does like burritos… and Tater Tot Casserole, and Hamburger Stroganoff. Everything ground beef.

If I had to eat another ground up cow last night, I was gonna lose it. So I stuck with the plan and made burritos… I just improvised and made ‘em out of shredded chicken.

It was a hit! I LOVED them, the Hubster dug them and the kidlets had seconds. Woohoo! The shredded chicken was very tasty with subtle hints of cumin, chili & garlic. Plus, it was quick and easy and I was done cooking before the 30 minute Elmo DVD was over :)

Anyways, here is what I did:

Shredded Chicken:

  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any fat
  • 3 cups of chicken broth
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp sweet yellow onion, diced finely
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and boil for 20 minutes. Let the chicken breasts cool then shred with two forks. Add your topping, roll and eat :)

0 comments: