Saturday, February 23, 2013

PreK and Kinder cooking; Rainbows

With PreK working on the letter R, and the Kindergartners working on a weather theme, I decided Rainbows would be the perfect combination.
 
I started by reading a book Mandy let me borrow about eating a rainbow of colorful fruits and vegetables. It was the perfect book for this cooking lesson!
 
So after we read, we got to work. I gave them each 1/2 a banana, and had them peel and then cut the banana into thin slices. Then we put that aside for a bit.
 
Then I asked each of them to count out x amount of cut up fruit pieces, and they created their rainbows:
 


(The bananas were the clouds on one end of the rainbow; we added marshmallows to the other).




For the Kinder's, we talked about when rainbows occur (after a rainstorm). I tied in the weather theme here.



Of course, we talked about God's covenant with us in that He promised to never flood the Earth again. So all in all, we did some sorting, some math, learned some cutting skills, weather patterns and talked about what the Bible promises us. I'd say it was another enriching lesson :)

0 comments: