Sunday, August 19, 2007

Saturday happenings

Forgive me if this is a bit jumbled... it's 5 am and instead of sleeping, I'm blogging. Why you ask? Oh, because Miss Flirt McNert decided to skreeeeech loudly at 4:30 am until Mommy came and got her outta the crib. And of course it wasn't because she was hungry...it was just time to party. So here we both sit, me in the computer chair and her in her exersaucer...who cares if it's still dark outside and my husband is sleeping soundly in bed (where I should be too!) :0)

So Saturday morning before the big race started, I set out Annie Banani's clothes for the day and asked Justin to put them on while I hopped in the shower. I set out a little shirt and a skirt for her...and the shirt had "ruffly" things on the collar so it shouldn't have been hard to put on right. Ha! I came outta the shower and found her like this:

Apparently for a daddy who has never dressed anyone in baby girl clothes, this was quite a task for Justin. Yep, her shirt is on completely backwards....but hey,he tried, right? :o)

Anyways, when racing season began back in April, Justin was looking forward to really tearin' 'em up, since he was a rookie last year and was learning the ins and outs of dirt track racing. Unfortunately, he's had the worst luck this year...between the engine, starter, rear end and a few cut ties, he's finished about 3 out of the 10 races he's raced. At the last race, THREE parts of the car broke and he was unable to finish the race once again. He was very"beaten down" as he calls it and had considered taking a break because he was beyond demoralized with the hunk of junk, otherwise known as the race car.

So the last race he set himself out but Luis and I made him go watch...and our plan worked! He wanted to get back out there and kick some dirt track butt! So the guys worked every night this week, sometimes staying up 'til 2 am to get the POS working. So Saturday was the first race Justin went to since it broke about 5 weeks ago. All day long I just kept hoping and praying that he would finish...not win or even "place", just finish. Well, not only did he finish, he took THIRD place! This ROCKED because he started 12th place (out of 21 cars!) and he seriously fought to pass some of the other racers. On top of that, he really didn't know how the car was gonna handle after all of the work they put into it so it was like driving a completely different car. After the race, he walked up into the Grandstands with a HUGE smile...it was soooo nice to see him happy and excited after a race :)


He got 2nd place in his heat and third place in the main. He did AWESOME and I am so proud of him for not giving up and giving it everything he had!

Yay #36!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I literally laughed OUT LOUD when I saw the pictures of Annie with her shirt on backwards. So cute! And I wish your DH the best of luck in the future with his racing. It's good to see determination after mishaps. Yay #36 :)