Friday, March 28, 2014

Chocolate milk

Although it's a rarity in our house, my kiddos love them some chocolate milk. I hate all of the 'extras' in the syrup though, so we made some instead.


We mixed 1/2 cup of cocoa with 1 cup (we reduced it) of sugar and 1 cup of water. 


Stir constantly and bring to boil. Boil hard for one minute and remove from heat. Add 1 tsp. of vanilla.


The kids loved helping stir until the boiling began, at which point they all stepped WAY back. Boiling sugar can really climb up the walls of a sauce pan!



I poured the syrup into a measuring cup to cool. Once it cooled, I poured it into my Hershey's bottle and refrigerated it.

I love that it's HFCS-free and I can control the amount of sugar that goes into it. best of all it tastes really good :) 

0 comments: